Monday, September 29, 2008

Options

OK, Ive been kickin a few options around for the upcoming cycling season (Oct 08- Oct 09). I'm looking for some input, additional ideas and also wondering if anyone else is IN. To put this in perspective I will turn 40 in August of 2009 so for my mid-life crisis I've decided to ride my bike. My wonderful Mrs. has given me the blessing for a busy year on the bike and she even came up with one of these ideas herself.

Here we go:

1. Gut-Check 2009. I'm planning on it, I have the sag worked out, I'm going to train like it's my last attempt (it is per the Mrs.). Problem is right now the dates for Gut-Check happen to land on the same day as the MS 150. As much as I want to complete Gut-Check if these dates continue to conflict I will be riding the MS 150. The MS ride means too much to me go let go of. I REALLY hope this conflict is resolved so I can attend both rides.

2. The Year Rounder. If you haven't heard of this it is at least 1 century ride every month for one calendar year. The rules are very simple 100 miles in a 24 hour time period each month for a year, oh by the way it HAS to be outside. I'm thinking this would be great training for Gut-Check and a really fun challenge. I can foresee 20 laps on the mountain bike around Vermillion in the middle of February.

3. 40 for 40. This is the Mrs. idea. It works like this: 40 miles a day for 40 days in a row (get the idea, I'm turning 40). Here again another great idea for Gut-Check training but a big time eating monster and there for sure will be a few rough weather days. It pretty much means not leaving Vermillion for 40 days and if I do the bike comes along.

4. All of the above. This is what I would like to shoot for, BUT it requires Gut-Check dates to be changed for next year.

Now that I've explained (I haven't commited yet) all my ideas for torturing my soon to be 40 year old body I have one question for you.

ARE YOU IN???

If not for all options which one?

and

Have I gone totally off the deep end??

(Late update the dates for Gut-Check have been changed!)

5 comments:

Snakebite said...

I think the best training rides I did for the Gut Check were a Saturday ride of 150 or 160 miles followed by a Sunday ride of the same distance. 300 mile weekends really seemed to help. That and having ridden many miles made the Gut Check very enjoyable and not taxing at all. I think putting in some back to back long days puts you in a physical and mental place you don't always get to and having the experience and knowing how to deal with them are important.

Cathy Jo said...

Love your goals! I have that big landmark birthday coming up also (just add 10 years). I'm in for the century a month - when are you starting? January?

bikingbrady said...

I'll be your huckleberry.

Anything you can do, I can do better. I can do anything better than you.

Let's see...what other movie can I quote....

Hooterville Mayor said...

Yer all crazy.
I mean that in a good way. :)

hangeng said...

This season is all about lace. thomas sabo schmuck günstig I am talking about crocheted cotton lace, sabo charms the kind your great grandmother thomas sabo engelsflügel wore. Think of the old doilies she used to angebote thomas sabo make. Lace is on everything these days from clothing, handbags and the rest of the accessories. You will see handbags made out of it or adorned with it. It is made into lightweight thomas sabo flowy scarves. Bangles are big and anhänger thomas sabo covered in lace with matching necklaces and earrings. The thomas sabo kette necklaces have lace beaded into it, thomas sabo 2010 beaded with lacey disk beads thomas sabo online shop or lacey beads themselves. It will not be hard to find a great shirt with lace on the top and accessorize it with matching earrings, thomas sabo halsschmuck necklaces, scarves or handbags. thomas sabo ohrringe Use them tastefully together but don't go overboard. A little of each goes a long way. Handmade is big in this category so don't go looking only at stores; keep those art shows in mind for that unique great find.